ACCS Program

A free resource that provides comprehensive information on topics like financial support, organizations, and available care options that are in every city in Vermont that can help senior citizens stay connected with their community. You can read more here:

The ACCS program works with assisted living communities and residential care homes to provide seniors with care services, including:

  • Case management: This ensures seniors have access to medical, social and other required services and that they are receiving all the services that are outlined in their ACCS plan.
  • Personal care assistance: Help with the activities of daily living such as eating, dressing, grooming and personal hygiene.
  • Nursing assessment and routine tasks: Regular evaluations and monitoring performed by a licensed registered nurse, as well as medication monitoring and assistance.
  • On-site assistive therapy: Assistance from a licensed professional to modify activities, behaviors and techniques to improve cognitive skills.
  • Restorative nursing: Services designed to maintain overall function.

All of these services are provided by level III residential care homes or assisted living residences, and paid for by Medicaid. Room and board expenses are still to be paid by the resident and can be arranged privately between the resident and the care facility. The ACCS program allows seniors to retain a monthly allowance of $47.66 per month for personal needs.

Who Is Eligible?

To be eligible for the ACCS program, the senior must:

  1. Be a Vermont resident aged 65 or older
  2. Require the services provided by ACCS
  3. Live in a participating level III residential care home or assisted living residence.
  4. Meet the income requirements of the Medicaid ACCS program, which is $1,125 in Chittenden County and $1,041 for those living outside the county.

How to Apply

Eligible seniors may apply for the ACCS or have a trusted caregiver do so on their behalf. In order to apply, the following steps must be taken.

  1. Find a participating assisted living residence or level III residential care home that has both space and ability to meet the seniors
  2. If the senior isn’t already on Medicaid, an application needs to be submitted to a local Department for Children and Families Services office. This office is responsible for determining ACCS
  3. Once the Department for Children and Family Services has determined eligibility, the senior or caregiver must complete a Verification of Eligibility form with the assisted living residence or residential care home.
  4. Those who aren’t currently receiving supplemental security income need to contact a Social Security Administration office to determine whether or not they’re eligible for supplemental security income in an assisted living residence or level III residential care home.
  5. When moving into the chosen community, or upon completion of all the above steps, an agreement must be signed between the senior and the residence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.