TOWN OF FAIRFIELD
ROAD CREW MEMBER
The Equipment Operator/Laborer reports directly to the Road Foreman. He/she must be
able to operate equipment, owned, borrowed or leased by the municipality (including but not
limited to graders, loader, backhoe, snowplows, chainsaws), and must perform skilled laboring
work on construction/maintenance projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Equipment Operator/Laborer is responsible for construction and maintaining town
roads for the safety of the public. This may include nights, weekends and holidays. These duties
include snow removal, plowing, retreatment/resurfacing, ditching, sanding, salting and
chloriding of roads, replacement of culverts/bridges, sign installation, equipment operation and
maintenance, brush & tree removal and any other tasks assigned by the Road Foreman,
Selectboard and/or Town Administrator.
• Operates trucks in transporting employees, materials and equipment.
• In winter, uses heavy equipment to plow, load and remove snow, sands and salts
roads. May also shovel snow when necessary. Thaws/unplugs culverts.
• Operates all types of graders in smoothing dirt road surfaces, shaping road for
proper crown and drainage, breaking old pavement and smoothing down gravel to
assure appropriate grade.
• Uses loader, backhoe or grader for digging and backfilling work on construction
or maintenance projects and for proper drainage. Assures safe balance of
equipment, particularly on uneven ground and high banks, and assures that water
mains and utilities, above or underground are not damaged.
• Performs manual road maintenance work as necessary, such as cutting, clearing
and loading brush or trees, digging ditches, opening/replacing culverts, raking,
seeding, blacktopping, etc.
• Repairs/replaces guardrails.
• Repairs bridges/culverts.
• Reports missing signs and replaces them.
• Performs general equipment safety checks, minor repairs on various equipment
and responsible for routine and preventative maintenance on any equipment
assigned to him/her.
• Maintains inspections, registrations and insurance. Reports to Town
Administrator when renewals need to be obtained.
• Performs general maintenance, safety checks and minor repairs to garage.
• Accurately report on time sheets to Road Foreman daily activities according to
• Follow proper safety procedures. Report any and all accidents or injuries to the
Road Foreman or Town Administrator within 24 hours of event. Bring personnel
problems to the attention of the Road Foreman, Town Administrator, Selectboard
in that order or as per requirements of the Town of Fairfield Employee Handbook.
• Recognize and communicate to Road Foreman any problems or hazards.
• All purchases require prior approval of the Foreman or other authorized person.
Provide copies of all receipts to Foreman. No personal purchases shall be allowed
through Town accounts.
• Relate to the public in a professional, courteous and respectful manner. Report
any complaints to the Foreman.
• Must attend any and all ongoing training sessions for continued education as
required by the Selectboard.
• Perform any other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of highway construction and maintenance techniques and operations,
and its related equipment.
• Working knowledge of heavy/light equipment, maintenance and repair, and the
ability to operate said equipment safely and efficiently.
• Working knowledge of grades.
• Working knowledge of mechanics.
• The ability to carry out written or oral directives or instructions.
• The ability to work as part of a crew operating to accomplish desired work in a
timely and efficient manner.
• The ability to exercise independent judgment when carrying out duties and to
maintain a good working relationship with the Road Foreman, the Selectboard,
the Town Administrator, the public and fellow employees. The ability to respond
to questions from the general public or referring them to the appropriate person.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outdoor weather
conditions. He/she frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to
wet/humid conditions and vibrations. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious
places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and
risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is sometimes loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• The ability to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls
and reach with hands and arms. He/she frequently is required to stand and talk or
hear, walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, bend, kneel, stretch, crouch, crawl and
• The ability to lift/move heavy materials.
• The ability to do hard, manual labor working outdoors for extended periods of
time under adverse weather conditions, in areas exposed to cuts from tools and to
the hazards of highway traffic and equipment, at any/all times of the day.
High School graduate or equivalent education with one year of experience.
Must hold a valid Vermont driver’s license and a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), with
proper endorsements. Pre-employment and random drug and alcohol tests required. Physical
exam may be required.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
See Employee Handbook.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be
performed. The omission of specific statements of duties or requirements does not exclude them
from the position if similar, related or a logical assignment of the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and
employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and
requirements of the job change.